Recipe Name: Arugula & Blood Orange Salad
As Seen In: Camille Styles
Recipe Originator: Word of Mouth Catering
Type of Fast: Daniel Fast, Vegetarian
How Many It Serves: 4
What You Need:
- 6 cups arugula
- 2 blood oranges
- ½ cup marcona almonds
- 12 dates (look for either Deglet Noor or Medjool varieties)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons pure almond oil
- fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make It:
- Slice the stem and blossom ends from the blood oranges. Stand the blood oranges on one end. Following the contour of the fruit with your knife, remove the peel and white cottony pith. Work from top to bottom, rotating the fruit as you go. When all peel is removed, slice each orange thinly into 8 to 10 pinwheels.
- Cut the dates in half lengthwise and remove the pits.
- Place the Parmigiano-Reggiano, flat side down, on a cutting board. Using a chef’s knife or vegetable peeler, shave 16 large-thin slices of cheese.
- Scatter 1/3 of the arugula on a large platter. Arrange 1/3 of the oranges, dates, cheese and nuts. Scatter another layer of arugula and continue layering in the same manner, letting the ingredients intertwine together. Drizzle the almond oil over the salad and season lightly with fleur de sel, pepper and a squeeze of blood orange juice.